Thursday, July 19, 2012

Food!

So Alexander has been dying to eat regular food.  For months, he has noticed when we eat, but over the past month he has watched us eat more and more intently.  He will stop playing with toys to stare at us eat, which I think is funny, but he has been getting more and more stressed that he doesn't get anything.  It seemed like he was definitely ready to try some food, but since he is just over 5 months I wasn't sure yet.

Two nights ago, though, we decided to give him food after he was upset and crying about not getting food.  I wasn't ready with home-prepared food for him this early but I did have a can of salt-free sweet peas, so those got mashed up and strained and watered down.  The end result looked kind of gross, actually.  But Alexander certainly didn't mind! :)




He did impressively well at keeping the food in his mouth and swallowing it - he hardly got messy at all!  Now I just need to decide what to try next after the peas...suggestions?

In other news, Xander had been sleeping in his bouncer chair every night up until a week ago.  He just had a hard time sleeping more than a couple hours in his pack and play, so I had been putting him down for naps there, but nighttime just wasn't working there.  Plus when he spits out his pacifier, a few times per night, he was way closer for me to put it back in :)  Last Friday he fell asleep in my arms and I decided to just try putting him in the pack and play for the night...and he slept there all night!  Well he woke up once needing the pacifier reapplied, but then he fell back asleep there.  And he has slept there every night since, no problemo!  We are very impressed by how well he took to it...well, it only took 5 months, but he is doing well there now... :)

Basically our little boy is growing up, and while that makes me happy and he is so fun right now, it also makes me sad since he is so different from when he was younger!  I guess that's how things go, but I just wish I could have him both ways.  I mean, you just can't compare this




to this.  Both stages are too cute for words :)


2 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow, he ate that so well! He even kept wiggling his feet and hands in between bites - looks like he'll be a champion eater!! Super nice for you!!

Starting with veggies instead of fruits I would recommend - because once they taste the sweet fruit, it's harder for them to eat veggies (especially green beans!!). But one of the first things should be the rice cereal - it has tons of vitamins and nutrients... since once you start on solid foods more regularly, you should nurse a little bit less and he needs to be getting nutrients from the solid foods. So I would start with a little rice cereal in the morning (I've heard that 2 T is about all babies eat for a serving... so about half of a baby food jar) and then in the afternoon/evening do 2T of a fruit or veggie. Then as you cut out more nursing, then add more - do the rice cereal in the morning and right before bed, and veggie/fruit at lunchtime. And you can also mix fruits in with the rice cereal for variety. Once he gets a couple teeth (8, 9, 10 months?) he can start on tiny pieces of crackers or breads or mashed up chicken.

Good luck!! Thus starts the adventure that comes with feeding kiddos! :)

SuzQuez said...

He did do amazingly well. Smart little cutie!